Today students in Ms. Sandler’s grade 4 class made animals, characters, shapes or anything else they want. They will then use their creations to find the area and perimeter of their creation.
- I created a grid 26×26 for the students to use to create their artwork.
- I saved the grid in a Paint program so the students could create their shape using the computer.
- I quickly explained what they were going to do showing them examples from Krokotak and showed them the basic elements of paint.
- Line Tool and Fill bucket
- Students opened the Paint program, saved and began to create
- They did not have a lot of time to complete the project and we will continue next session.
- They will print them and then figure out the are and perimeter of the shape.
- An extension would be to ask what fraction of the whole is each color.
- Great bulletin board idea
Here are a few examples of the ones that finished or are almost done.
- Emphasize the Undo option, Paint is not a forgiving program
- Do not allow them to use the eraser tool to fix a mistake
- Have the students outline their shape first